Subject: Re: [Leica] All Titanium LEICA M6TTL
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:08:22 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
> Would there be a market for an [ expensive ]
> all titanium LEICA M6-TTL?

> Not just the looks: the whole body
> and exposed surfaces, or just about...

Why? So far, the thick zinc cover of my chrome M6 shows zero wear, after a
year of being hauled about on a daily basis; at least with magnesium alloy
covers, some claim might be made of superior RF shielding for the
electronics. The black finish of the lenses wears away sooner than the
present chrome-on-zinc platings.

A titanium baseplate might be nice, if stronger and lighter than the brass
original. An Abrahamson winder weighing less than the stock baseplate-now
*that* would be seriously neat, and I can't help but wonder what a
wood-and-titanium 4x5 field camera might offer. But titanium has problems of
it's own, which make it unsuitable for certain applications: My bike parts
catalogs, for instance, warn that Ti fasteners should not be used on Ti
parts, as they tend to seize unless specially treated.

Jeff