Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: RedDrake@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:24:40 EST

If you don't mind I would rather that this one not be killed until someone
answers the question for me;  "How do "really top" professional photographers
get separated and recognized from the amateur that calls himself or herself a
professional."  This appears to me to be a valid question that any
professional would really want.   If I were a professional I would certainly
want to be recognized as Robert Bedwell, PP, AH, SOB, DR, PRK, SH, Underbob,
or whatever.   (Harrison, figure out all those titles).
<<

The problem with definitions is that people stubbornly refuse to conform to
them.
As a profesional software engineer, I would like to think that all those years
of
school and experience (and talent I hope) mean something. I would like to
think it gives me some measure of "professionalism." However, there are people
who burst the definitions and excel despite their lack of training or
experience.
I had a boss once who without even a high school diploma was way better at
my job than I was. It was hard to accept, but there was no avoiding it. Still
these are the exceptions, not the rule. I think we can go with the definition,
but
be ready to discard it for those rare individuals who make their own
definitions.