Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Newsletter and financial report.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:44:23 -0500

Prediction - If Leica is going to survive as a manufacturer of serious photo
gear - as opposed to just P&S - some time in the next 12 to 24 months they
will abandon the R line. Additionally, I'd be willing to be that the recent
spate of M lens development we've seen is the end of M lens development.

Why do I say this? I say it because as good as it may be, the R is simply
not a camera that can compete for today's "pro" SLR market. I know, I know,
they don't come any more pro than Eric, Ted, etc. But as Eric and Ted well
know, being pros using Rs they are exceptions, not rules. In this day and
age a "pro" camera has to be autofocus, etc., and even if Leica was go to in
that direction, it is probably too late to make a real dent in the market.

On the other hand, I believe they will continue to manufacture the M, in its
present, or a slightly updated form, because it is a niche item with no real
competition - until we see the Konica. There is still a pro need for a good
reliable range finder, and Leica is the only came in town. Further, there is
a substantial and fairly well-healed base of users and collectors who will
go to their graves using Leicas.

As to Eric's reference to Olympus switching to P&S from "real cameras," I'd
point out that Olympus continues to manufacture and market the OM3 and OM4,
as well as an extensive range of lenses and accessories. The OM has, in
effect, become Olympus's M - it's used by some pros, but being a non-auto
focus camera it is largely used by a small but devoted following of loyal
non-pros. I believe Olympus keeps the line going more for prestige than for
income.

Beyond that, on the Olympus subject: While I won't argue lens bench tests
with you - and I assume Leica would come out ahead - Olympus makes damn good
optics and the OM3 & 4 bodies area in many ways the "M shooter's reflex."
They weigh LESS than an M6, they're only .5 inches higher and .25 deeper -
despite being reflexes. They're extremely quiet for reflexes. Because
they're small and light they're unobtrusive and easy to shoot with without
drawing attention to yourself. As far as I'm concerned, they are far more
Leicalike than the R8 - and Ted and Eric don't need to respond, we should
just agree to disagree... :-)

B. D.