Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:29:51 -0600

At 08:03 AM 2/25/99 +0100, you wrote:
>And pro keeper v. amateur keeper = no automatic per se advantage on the
>pro side. I'm not sure Eric is really saying anything different to that
>BTW...

While that is quite true, and it takes talent to make great pictures,
regardless of the number of frames you shoot, let me put it this way.

Good and talented Robert Capa shoots 2,000 rolls of film this year using
his Nikon SLR and vast array of lenses. Good and talented photographer
Robert Capri shoots 20 rolls of film this year through is vastly superior
R9AF with the brand new 50 Noctilux ARF ASPH.

Given they are of approximate equal talent. (And of equal passion).

Who will develop into the better photographer and end up getting more
keepers per roll in the long run?

The guy who practices more.

My violin training for 19 years convinces me such a conclusion is
legitimate in the visual area, which shares a lot of similarities with music.

That doesn't directly translate to every photographer who practices will
become a great photographer, not matter how hard they try. Some will fail.
And fail they will, and move on to other things, or live in poverty and
obscurity. (Gee, I'm getting depressed here...)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

- -The world's full of apathy, and I don't care.