Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Definition of a Professional
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:03:19 +0100

Paul T. Winkfield wrote:
> Didn't the whole 'Professional' thing get overblown via the trade mags? (pop Photo and Modern)
> to separate the 'better' paid photogs (and their cameras) from the rest of us?
> I have a Metz catalog that says Electronic flash for the Professional (does that mean I'm
> not allowed to buy one?

Paul,

Yes, yes, yes. There is a real 'pro' fantasy in the amateur photo field
and at least part of it is due to marketing. Are there many other means
of expression or hobbies that have that type of icon fantasy ? Cannot
think of any. In the sports field, the stop watch will trace the
difference between good and not as good. Here it is all down to
subjectivity.

Just in case that point is badly interpreted: the pro photographer that
is successful is certainly very admirable and the choice of photography
as a profession shows a brave and dedicated character even for the
not-so-succesful.

Alan