Subject: [Leica] R8 Motor Drive market segment
From: "GBicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:12:34 -0700

Hello LUG,

I disagree with Mark's identification of the motor drive buyer's market
segment as being more fixed on F5's multiple whiz bang gadgetry.  No
question that auto-everything appeals to some, and when something more auto
than F5 is available they'll buy it, and a few will even use many of those
features.  People who want F5's have got 'em.  There is a segment of the
market for simpler bodies which do need and enjoy motor drives.  My F3 wore
its super, but loud MD4 motor drive for more than a decade.

I like using a motor drive.  It lets me concentrate on trying to make the
best photos I can.  It lets me ignore an essential but non-creative
function.  It is automation, but not creative automation, and this niche is
populated by more than me.  I think it's a significant number of camera
buyers, and a decent percentage of Leica buyers.  When things get
hellzapoppin' nothing else will do.  Things happen faster than a thumb can
keep up with, natural or electric.

I am delighted with my R8.  The relationship hasn't been without wrinkles,
but the camera is irresistable.  My pleasure in using it continues to grow.
After careful consideration of what's out there, I am satisfied that I have
the body that best suits my needs.  I'm even glad that a drive isn't built
into the body, and I can take it off and save size and weight when it offers
no benefit.  But when I need it, I want a motor drive on it; using the R8
with its winder just makes me want the motor drive more.  Other R8 LUGgers
have stated on the digest that they too, will jump on a motor drive the
moment it becomes available.  You've suggested that your leap into an SLR
will be timed to permit the attachment of a motor drive.  One LUGger even
has a motor drive on order.  Others have suggested that professional
purchases of the R8 are being stymied by lack of a motor drive.  I smell a
revenue opportunity here.

The R8 is the camera I purchased with the F5 and other extremely automated
alternatives available at the time.  And my retailer told me what he
believed, "The motor has been promised for some time, and it should be
available soon."  But my R8 is a year old this month, and no one has ever
accused me of being patient anyway.  Leica may believe its reasons for the
motor drive's continued absence are justified.  But hello-o-o-o!  While
we're young!!  It's been years!!  I'm sorry if Leica's suppliers went bust
just before production was to begin, but that **should**  have been in 1995,
so that the motor drive would have been available at the camera's fall 1996
introduction.  1996!   These things happen.  How we coming with Plan B?
Before long, it'll become a Y2K problem.  Let's hope this entire delay isn't
simply delay, and that Leica has seized the opportunity to continue R8's
motor drive design and development and is producing one absolutely
hellacious, worthy-of-the-Leica-name motor drive while our wait goes on.

Carpe Lux!

Greg Bicket