Subject: Re: [Leica] Silver Bullets
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:08:39 -0800

"David W. Almy" wrote>
> All,
> Have followed with interest all the "future of Leica, business updates,
> CEO interviews, stock price, etc.," threads -- all of which raise the
snip
> There is such a silver bullet. It's called a motor drive. Aside from
> autofocus, what's really holding the R8 back is the lack of a serious
> motor. Although autofocus is debatable, the lack of a fast, slick motor
snip

The people who would value a motor over a winder would be the same
people who would not go without autofocus in most cases. They would
therefor not consider an R8 as an option with F5 or EOS...
In the M department after much panic and tweaking they finally have a
winder that works. Mine has worked flawlessly for hundreds of rolls. If
they came out with a smaller one and I doubt they will soon it would
have to prove itself to me and the world as they would be fixing
something that ain't broke. And Tom's compact Advance is an option
although sans motor or spring.
I'm an M guy who will get into R in the next year or so. If and when
they get their act together on motorized advance I'll make that part of
my SLR MO again.
Mark Rabiner