Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:36:07 -0600

At 11:33 AM 2/24/99 +0100, you wrote:
>The current generation of highly automated and
>competitively priced photographic devices (from super AF bodies to the
>digital darkroom) puts very high quality results at the fingertips of
>almost anyone. Nothing bad to that.

Alan,

No flame, but I have a much more discriminating vision when it comes to the
use of quality in this context.

Just because a picture is in focus and properly exposed (which is all these
cameras can do) does not mean the image is "high quality." I think that
kind of sentiment can actually help perpetuate the idea that photographers
are just button-pushers. "Hey, if I had his camera, I could take pictures
just like him, why pay him $1,000 to do it?

Because very, very few people can actually produce "high quality" work.
Pro, let alone amateur.

And there are plenty of photographers out there making six figures. To me,
anyway, that's dang good money. Though I know of only one photojournalist
who makes six figures - James Natchwey, the greatest war photographer ever.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

As far as I'm concerned, treachery will sometimes bring loyalty into question.