Subject: Re: [Leica] (Leica) Bounce Flash
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:18:03 -0600

At 11:49 PM 2/23/99 -0800, you wrote:
> Eugene Smith (you could
>never tell he used flash), Richard Avedon (assistant holds umbrella on
>long pole and closely follows the model), Irving Penn(?).

Wait a minute! That's not direct flash. Gene Smith would use available
light (whatever was available) but you wouldn't see him using on-camera
direct flash for those gorgeous pictures, and there is no way anyone can
use direct flash without casting horrible shadows. If it's off camera,
that's another thing, but I've never heard that referred to as "direct
flash" in any circles I run. What you later describe is totally different
than what I, and most people I know call direct flash.

Umbrellas are the antithesis of direct flash.

Irving Penn? He used flash? Not in "Worlds in a Small room." He used
natural (north) light and a canvas background.

Wegee? Ugh. Arbus? Ditto.

Actually with Wegee, there wasn't any choice. Using a speed graphic at
night and having to get it quick, that was the only way to do it. Sometimes
that's even the answer for me too, but only when there is no other possible
choice. One of the reasons Cliff Edom founded the world's first
photojournalism program at the University of Missouri was because he was
disgusted with such direct flash, set-up pictures that style of photography
required, that was being practiced at newspapers everywhere.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

As far as I'm concerned, treachery will sometimes bring loyalty into question.