Subject: [Leica] Silver Bullets
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:05:52 -0500

All,

Have followed with interest all the "future of Leica, business updates,
CEO interviews, stock price, etc.," threads -- all of which raise the
issue of whether there is a "silver bullet" available anywhere in the
near future which could really boost the top line of our favorite
company's balance sheet.

There is such a silver bullet. It's called a motor drive. Aside from
autofocus, what's really holding the R8 back is the lack of a serious
motor. Although autofocus is debatable, the lack of a fast, slick motor
is not. It makes the R8 uncompetitive with Brands N&C. Even superior
optics cannot outweigh this lack. The M6 motor could stand a redesign
and a few weeks at weight watchers as well.

My F5, which I don't prefer, blows the doors off of my R8 in this
department. If the R8 had half the motor that the F5 does, all the other
advantages of Leica would be magnified.

Perhaps sometime in the next century?

David W. Almy
Annapolis