Subject: Re: [Leica] (Leica) Bounce Flash
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:49:18 -0800

csocolow wrote:

> Neil Miller wrote:
> >
> > I have read and agree with most everything that has been discussed on
> > the subject of bounce flash.
snip So what
> > say ye about the use of direct flash.
> >
> > Neil

Or Dianne Arbus, Helmut Newton (also ringlight), Weege (flashbulbs,
worlds greatest photographer), Victor Skrebnesky (Chicago photographer
spelled phoneticly a master of hard downlight), Eugene Smith (you could
never tell he used flash), Richard Avedon (assistant holds umbrella on
long pole and closely follows the model), Irving Penn(?).
When looking at pictures try to make the shadows make sense with the
catchlight in the eye. Try to guess how large the softbox or umbrella or
direct source is and where it is up down left right and how far away it
is. How hard of an edge does the shadow have and where is it? If not
behind them then under the chin or nose.
I used to do this with every shot in every French, Italian Vogue etc. in
the late seventies until I got pretty good at it and could easily
reproduce in my own studio or even on location by the mid eighties.
Mark Rabiner