Subject: [Leica] 19mm Elmarit-R Impression
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:45:20 -0800

I have just spent a weekend with my "new" 19mm Elmarit-R, first version.  I bought
this used, for 1/3 the cost of the new version.

It is simply terrific.  As you might expect, it is critical to hold the lens level, but the
SLR really helps you see exactly what is happening.  When level, the vertical lines,
even at the very edges, are very straight with no apparent distortion.  It does not
look at all like a super-duper wide.

But you will say, "Wow" when you look throught the viewfinder.

The color rendition on the first slides I got back was very similar to my 100 APO.

The hood is of course very important, and very big.  It will pick up the Sun if you are
in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that will be immediately evident in the
SLR.

One negative is that it looks big.  With the hood on it almost obscures the R8, and
does in fact obscure an R4.  It just looks like someone is pointing a square lens at
you!

For R8 owners, note that this first version without ROM will work fine in all modes,
but the P and T will flash all the time.  That is okay since you can easily work in A;
the lens can be handheld down to at least 1/30 if not 1/15 and all you need to do
is set f/8 or f/11, set a hyperfocal distance, forget focus and fire away!

We usually think of the M for wide angle, but I tell you that this 19mm, and being
able to see exactly what is happening through the lens, are reason enough to
get an R.

Bob Rose