Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:11:59 -0800

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> Good point Mark.    Then, if you have the skill to receive funds for your work
> you are a professional.   Unfortunately I think that this is the bottom-line
> and it doesn't have to be 50% or more of your income.  It becomes a self-
> applied title and I just don't like this.  It is not fair to those that put
> their heart and sole into it.
>
> Bob Bedwell

Bob the bottom line is your book. Your portfolio. Not being great at
finishing things I did finished college anyway. Got the BS. Put it in my
sock draw. Didn't put it in one of those acetate pages in my book. My
book stank. People hired me because I was cheap and stupid but knew how
to focus and my film usually came out. One day came and I was less cheap
and less stupid and my book was pretty darn good. Did a few jobs that
look darn good on a resume that no one ever asked to see. Only the book.
Words are cheap, so are titles. Its your work that counts. In the world
of photography there are plenty of books out three by amateurs better
than ours. They would rather not prostitute their Art. And if Art is the
name of their dog it makes all the more sense. I'll prostitute my Hector
or my Rex. The society of fairplay and taste to plants and animals can
Mark Rabiner