Subject: Re: [Leica] Northern Lights for MITCH
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:37:00 -0600

At 12:21 AM 2/23/99 -0300, you wrote:
>Maybe our buddy Tim, in Yellowknife, has done the Lights.... if he has I
>wish he would tell ME!!!  :^)

When I was living in Edmonton, Alberta, I was camping by a Lake in the
"Hills of Peace" somewhere southeast of Wainwright, Alberta. Miles and
miles from a city, so no light pollution. I photographed near midnight in
July. I was a rank amateur then. About a month before I bought my first
Leica, so it was a Pentax LX in '81.

Film was chrome 400 speed film. Exposure with a 50mm 1.4 lens was wide open
for 11 seconds. (That camera had an amazing meter, perfect exposures every
time that night). Every picture was different, and gorgeous with the
Northern light reflected in the water of the lake.

Now I want to dig them up and scan them in and see if I can fix the
unsharpness in the better compositions, and fix the hole Kodak punched in
the exposure (focusing at night was a trick for me back then)!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

D)inner not ready:  (A)bort (R)etry (P)izza.