Subject: [Leica] Reimbursement/Value Placed on Work?
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:43:05 -0600

I think that many photographers are way to eager to sell themselves just to
get into print.  I will admit that in the beginning I was inexpensive, but
never free.  The photographer who mentioned the hospital's sob story about
can't afford to pay you much is right on.  When I lived in a town that
sported a huge hospital complex, I NEVER gave a thing away.  If an
hospital/clinic can afford to regularly build 10 and 20 million dollar
buildings and buy 500,000 dollar imaging scanners for diagnostic work, then
they can jolly well afford to pay the photographer a proper fee.    I have
yet to have a doctor not charge me for seeing him....even it it was for 5
minutes max (btw that charge is merely $65 at my clinic, minimum).

As a photojournalist, I discourage students from entering the madness at
every juncture.  I remind them that their very very very expensive college
education is a farce for what they get in monetary terms.  They will work
for publishers or groups that view the worker, whether a reporter or
photographer as an easily replaceable unit.   At the present time I am
working on a computer science degree as an alternative just in case.  If I
have to actually become a information systems guy, I would photograph only
on my terms and for the pure joy of it.  When you are a pro, there are so
many things that pull you apart.  There are pleasures of having amatuer
status that is a lot of fun.

A few years ago I did a job for a local christian high school.  It was
understood that upfront that there would be a fee and I would not be free.
It was a fun job as they specified black and white photography, which to me
was a lot of fun.  But I also made a nice little bunch of extra cash (which
I duly reported of course to the IRS).  What was nice is that they handed me
a subject list and I had complete artistic freedom.  They used the photos
for their captial campaign, which of course was very successful.

I think where you get the most respect from people who know how much work it
is to make a good photograph.   They know that you have to be talented in a
lot of areas.  Compostion, psychology, chemistry among others.

gck