Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film speed
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:30:22 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

<<<<<<< Someone elses times may be completely different!>>>>>>

Hi Dan,

Given the numbers, developing times, dilutions etc. posted over the past
couple of weeks for identical films,  it's amazing everyone hasn't given up
on film processing.

This is much like twelve photographers waiting to photograph a VIP about to
make a speech and they are all taking "Comparative meter readings at the
microphone" where the speaker will stand.

This is one of the most amazing metering things for those who've never done
it, as they'll inevitably have "12 different readings", due to different
asa, different meters, different holding of the meter and any number of
other values. Some havig taken the avaiable light reading will turn on the
flash and blow away the TV lights. :)

When I finally learned to remove myself from this "state of the art
confusion"  relying strictly on the R camera meter, my exposures where
right on the mark for my kind of processing. In some cases during the
photographer meter conversations compared to what I saw in the R
viewfinder, I'd have a twinge of doubt if the camera was really correct. It
never failed me, once I believed in it and how to make the meter work for
me.  And the R8 has an even more amazing meter system!

Once I learned to accept what the meter in my M or R camera was giving me
and to ignore the others with their various metering techniques, I found I
rarely had a screwed-up exposure.

It's much like the developing information, it's merely a guide and not
gospel truth, simply because one person in the darkroom may twist the film
tank twice and the other three times, or quicker, or whatever. Consequently
it will not be identical looking negatives. It can go back to the moment of
exposure and how one shooter exposes compared to the other that can make a
major difference in neg results.

As long as each of us uses the processing information for what it is meant,
a guideline and not cut in stone absolute, everyone gains. But it sure
shows at times this can be a very informative group willing to help each
other.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant