Subject: Re: [Leica] volunteer picture taking
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:39:04 -0800

THANK YOU TINA...!

And Ted.

>Until you open a magazine or newspaper to a full page ad of your picture or
>pictures...without even a creditline!....Once burned you get it twice!

Mine was a full page in Time Magazine. Hate to think what it cost me over
the years, not just in dollars.

Now, as a "happy amateur" I have no trouble in turning down  the "helping
hand". My wife is a violinist and has had a fiddle under her chin since she
was 5 years old. Yet for some reason, there are people who feel that it is
not worth what they would pay a second rate automobile mechanic to provide
music and images for a particular cause. She once had a "professional"
neighbor ask her as she was leaving for a symphony concert if she "got paid"
for doing that.

You are doing no one a service by giving away your talents. It makes no
difference whether or not you make your entire living from photography or it
is just a personal passion. If your talents are worth using....you should be
compensated. And, you should be the one to set the level of compensation. Do
not say "whatever you think it should be". You will be very disappointed in
what other people feel you are worth.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA