Subject: Re: [Leica] Tina/Reimbursement/Value Placed on Work?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:25:20 EST

ALEX:

Certainly is nice hearing from Ireland.

As for the 40% strike rate I will take it when I can get it.  Tomorrow it may
only be 2%.  Of course, the results are truly subjective.  I tend to
exaggerate when it comes to pictures of children anyway.  You have to be a
really bad photographer to screw up a picture of a child.

I agree with you about charging in the future.  Also, I would love to see some
of your work.  Do you have a webpage?

Thanks for the note.

Bob Bedwell

 Wow! That's a strike rate of over 40%. When it comes to portraiture, I
 reckon to get two or three really good shots per roll of 36.

 >  I would rather ask to take pictures of
 >children and give them to them than to be depressed when I learn how much
 >value they place on my work.  For me, when business is brought into it the
 >enjoyment deminishes.   I appreciate the commitment that our professional
 >photographers have made and hope that situations like the one that faced
Tina
 >are not common occurences.

 As a fellow amateur, I take exactly the same view. It's more rewarding to
 give the shots away.

 Last weekend I was up in Tipperary taking shots of the Tipperary Hunt
 mostly with an R3 and a 135 Elmarit. Even got a grab shot of the fox
 streaking in the opposite direction!

 It was suggested to me that I could make a penny or two selling the shots
 to these well-heeled and well-mounted ladies and gents.

 Far from it. I'd rather give them a set of prints from the photo-lab and
 the negatives, and tell them to sort out further prints for themselves.
 That, of course, is after digitising any neg that I felt to be
 outstanding...... :-)

 Slan

 Alex