Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Leica lenses & Group Professionals Responsibility?
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:56:24 -0600

Sunday, February 21, 1999, Robert wrote:
> I feel your pain.  I came to the conclusion when shooting football games
> that all I needed was the 400 2.8, monopod, body with drive, Lowe Pro Orion
> half moon shaped waise pack, Metz flash, and a 35mm Summicron.  I found
> anything more was too heavy and too much to carry.

I usually carry F1n/400 2.8 on a mono-pod, 70-200 2.8 (or 180 if prime
lenses)on body around neck or off right shoulder for quick grab, and a
24mm  on  the other shoulder if a big game, other wise the 24 stays in
fanny  pack.  For  a  fanny pack I discovered the best is my dad's old
USMC  web belt with various ammo pockets and Lowe Pro lens bags. I can
carry all of my extra lenses, meter, and quantum and flash. This keeps
the weight off my back almost entirely.

Like  Carl  I  used  to use the Domke vests, however I have discovered
that  a  good  waist  belt such as this gets almost all the weight off
my back.

Eric  mentioned  that  for  post  game a 35 is too tight...he is right
sometimes  even  a  19  is  not  wide enough. For some reason those TV
idiots  think  everything looks better super wide and run out onto the
field  and  cram  their  camera  into the players faces...If only they
would  learn  that  a long lens really cleans up the backgrounds! When
the Braves beat the Pirates in the NLCS back in 92 I was shooting from
the  first  base  outfield pit. I had a 300 2.8 on a bogen crazy clamp
with  foot  trigger pointed at home, a 400 2.8 on a mono-pod for "walk
around"  shooting  and  a  24-35  on a 3rd body. I told my film runner
"When  the game is over I am handing you my long lens then jumping the
wall.  You  grab  the  300, carry the long lens and KEEP ME IN SIGHT!"
Despite  being  told  we  were  not to jump the wall the minute the TV
a*****es  ran  on  the  field  I was over the wall with the 24mm lens.
Almost  all  of the post game shots moved that night were mine...Shots
of  Sid  Bream scoring the winning run, President Carter hugging Bobby
Cox,  and  others I forget. A very exciting night, but a must for a 24
or  wider  lens. In a melee like that wider is better.  And a flash is
VERY  handy.

If you ever work around the Washington Press corp get a 17mm and sharp
elbows. ;)

> The football games I
> shoot are University games and I and the other photographers follow the
> action up and down the field.  I do lots of walking by the end of the day
> and any more gear just makes my bad back worse.

You  WALK??? Man ya gotta RUN up and down the side lines.  And Ya gotta
get  on your knees to get the good shots.....Standing up the background
gets  WAY  too  cluttered.  Plus there is something about kneeling that
forces me to focus more on shooting than when standing.

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com