Subject: Re: [Leica] Diopter adjustment in SLRs
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:32:14 -0600

Sunday, February 21, 1999, Doug wrote:
> Can one of our resident wizards explain why having the diopter setting
> wrong will affect focussing accuracy of an SLR? As long as you can see
> the finder image well enough to note when the microprisms clear or the
> split-image is no longer split, is that not enough? Or does having the
> wrong diopter setting somehow make the microprisms and split-image
> give an inaccurate result?

Almost  all sports shooters I know focus on the ground glass...most of
us  even take out those annoying screens with that useless micro-prism
and split image and use a plain GG screen.

If  the image I am seeing is out of focus because of the dipoter chances
are  the resulting "focus" will be off on the film. Most of the time I
am  shooting  wide open with a very limited depth of field so there is
no room for error.

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto