Subject: [Leica] Re: Tina's new web page; too much technology
From: Zeissler@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:07:56 EST

> and everything is super fast so it's hard to judge how long the loading
> takes on other computers.  I use a ProJPEG program to prepare the images
> that tells me how many seconds it takes depending on how fast your
> connection is.  I tried to keep it below 10 seconds at 28.8.  If somebody
> would let me know how close it is, I would appreciate it.  I reduced the
> sizes of most of the photos so they will fit on a small screen, too.  I
> hated to do that because I like them large, but I don't want people to have
> to scroll to see them either.

Tina...

First, my congratulations.  Your site is gorgeous and is filled with images
that I
can only dream of producing.  Very fine!

Now on to your questions.  I timed several of the pages while loading and had
variety of results; a few were in the 10 second range, 25 to 40 seconds was
typical for most (sometimes more) and my connection was at 44 Kbps on a 56K
modem (other specs: PP-200, 64 MB RAM, Win98, Netscape 4.5).  I'm sure your
program indicates they should have loaded *much* faster, but connection speeds
vary all over the place during the actual session and are affected by line
noise, amount of other line traffic at the time, server load, etc.

I did not find any of the waits to be excessive.

> My gallery prints are all sepia-toned.  I like the warm look for people
> pictures and it is more archival.

I thought they were spot on.

> Thank you for your opinions, Jeff.  The color vs B&W is something I
> struggle with all of the time.  One of these days I'm going to retire and
> only photograph what I love - Black and White!

I now enjoy only *excellent* B&W images such as yours, something I will never
achieve.

Having used to work in a darkroom (actually, it was utterly black) sweatshop
for
up to 36 hours at a stretch, I got to the point where I was physically
yearning
for color since I rarely saw daylight.  Since then, I have worked with many
forms
of color expression (watercolor, gauche, pastels, color pencils and color
film)
and cannot bring myself  to touch B&W media (I used to be quite good with
pencil,
ink, B&W film and darkroom work).  I have also changed career paths and now
pursue creative expression as a pleasure of my own, rather than a source of
income
dictated by others.

/Mitch