Subject: RE: [Leica] long lens tests
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:20:48 -0500

At 09:51 PM 2/20/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Actually, any of those lenses would meet anybody's standards if they
>weren't being compared side by side, I suppose. So it's academic ...

Exactly, and it's probably a you-pick-'em tossup even then. I have not used
the Leica 400 f/2.8, but I have used the Cannon 400 2.8 EOS (not the II)
and the Nikon 400 2.8 AFs. Both are superb lenses. One may pick one line
over another for any variety of reasons -- AF speed, ergonomics, price,
support, familiarity, reliability, etc.  But I really don't think
inadequacy of one of these lenses would be the reason. Both are fine
lenses. This Ford v. Chevy type of rivalry has no appeal to me. They may
yield differences in results, but deciding which is better is really a
subjective thing.

Bill