Subject: Re: [Leica] Telyt 400 f6.8 question
From: Alexander <mediadyne@hol.gr>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:22:31 +0200

- --------------3A892A601DC63BB5BD67596F

> Alexander wrote:
>
> >I have recently acquired the above mentioned lens. Unfortunately, it came
> >with no instructions. Although I can use it alone (i.e. only the lens), I
> >have no idea how to put all the parts together for the "pistol" type grip.
> >there are so many litle parts with the lens, i have no idea where to
> >start. Does anyone have a site with instructions, or can anyone tell me
> >how to put it together?>>>>
>

> Just in case there are other LUGNUTS who may come by this lens and shoulder
> brace in the future!
>
> Alexander,
>
> I have to start with , "How many parts do you have?"
>
> There is only the pistol grip and a long shaft with screw threads on one
> end and  a black knurled knob on the other. It slides threads end up,
> through the pistol grip, screwed completely through and sticking out the
> top. That holds the pistol grip to the lens when you turn the knurled knob
> locking the pistol grip to the lens barrel..
>
> The pistol grip to shoulder extention tube about 12 inches long "slotted
> end"  and a screw hole at the other, slips into base of pistol grip slotted
> end to pistol grip. There is also a black knurled knob that screws through
> the pistol grip to hold this piece into place. It can also be turned in
> direction to fit right or left shoulder.
>
> The shoulder stock (looks like a half moon tube) is held into place on the
> extention stock, using a hexagonal key to lock into place. You should also
> have the key that fits the head of the screw.
>
> I mean this shoulder brace is a childs toy, a kid should be able to put
> to-gether. So how many pieces do you have beyound the half dozen bits I've
> mentioned.
>
> Oh yeah I guess I forgot the "cable release or electric micro switch
> connection cord from the pistol grip to the motor drive.  Which do you
> have, motor drive cable or cable release?
>
> And if you're going to use that lens hand held without a motor drive or
> maybe a winder, you are just wasting your time unless you use a monopod or
> tripod!
>
> Yep, you can hand hold it without any firm support, beauty of the lens. But
> the motor drive connection and micro switch will let you shoot at 1/15th of
> a second hand held with the shoulder support!   been there...done it lots
> of times! :) How's that grab you hand held with a 400 mm Leica lens! :):)
> And you can do the same, it's a piece of cake and I've done it with the
> 560mm head also! it's simple,  be calm, cool and breathe right!:)
> ted
>

> Ted Grant

Hello Ted.
I am just not good I guess at assembling stuff.
I have enclosed a link to a pic of the lens and accessory, just in case it could help anyone tell me what to do
with what.
Other than the lens, I havent figured out anything yet ...lol

http://www.mediadyne.gr/telyt400.jpg

Thank you all!

<pre>Alexander wrote:

>I have recently acquired the above mentioned lens. Unfortunately, it came
>with no instructions. Although I can use it alone (i.e. only the lens), I
>have no idea how to put all the parts together for the "pistol" type grip.
>there are so many litle parts with the lens, i have no idea where to
>start. Does anyone have a site with instructions, or can anyone tell me
>how to put it together?>>>>

Just in case there are other LUGNUTS who may come by this lens and shoulder
brace in the future!

Alexander,

I have to start with , "How many parts do you have?"

There is only the pistol grip and a long shaft with screw threads on one
end and&nbsp; a black knurled knob on the other. It slides threads end up,
through the pistol grip, screwed completely through and sticking out the
top. That holds the pistol grip to the lens when you turn the knurled knob
locking the pistol grip to the lens barrel..

The pistol grip to shoulder extention tube about 12 inches long "slotted
end"&nbsp; and a screw hole at the other, slips into base of pistol grip slotted
end to pistol grip. There is also a black knurled knob that screws through
the pistol grip to hold this piece into place. It can also be turned in
direction to fit right or left shoulder.

The shoulder stock (looks like a half moon tube) is held into place on the
extention stock, using a hexagonal key to lock into place. You should also
have the key that fits the head of the screw.

I mean this shoulder brace is a childs toy, a kid should be able to put
to-gether. So how many pieces do you have beyound the half dozen bits I've
mentioned.

Oh yeah I guess I forgot the "cable release or electric micro switch
connection cord from the pistol grip to the motor drive.&nbsp; Which do you
have, motor drive cable or cable release?

And if you're going to use that lens hand held without a motor drive or
maybe a winder, you are just wasting your time unless you use a monopod or
tripod!

Yep, you can hand hold it without any firm support, beauty of the lens. But
the motor drive connection and micro switch will let you shoot at 1/15th of
a second hand held with the shoulder support!&nbsp;&nbsp; been there...done it lots
of times! :) How's that grab you hand held with a 400 mm Leica lens! :):)
And you can do the same, it's a piece of cake and I've done it with the
560mm head also! it's simple,&nbsp; be calm, cool and breathe right!:)
ted

Ted Grant</pre>
Hello Ted.