Subject: Re: [Leica] <no subject>
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:04:52 -0800

sam wrote:

> < . . .Titanic. The
> script was a joke, the acting was a bigger joke, but it was a really
> wonderful evocation of a particular time and place - and had staggeringly
> good special effects>
>
> What bothered me most about this production was the sanitizing of a tragic
> and terrifying event, i.e.: the bright bahamian-blue water below decks as
> the ship
> sinks, the over-colorized and glowing  lighting,  etc.  He should have
> changed to a
> (LEICA) "nocti" and "3200" once the iceberg hit. . .I'm sure for those who
> were there,
> it was very dark, cold,  grainy and black & white that terrible night!

The people in the lower decks were locked down until it was convenient
to let them out, many perished because of it. Other films on the Titanic
dealt with this issue, this film barely touched on it. Hate to sound
like a pinko but the Titanic story was a story about Class. The poor guy
would have never gotten near the rich girl let along see the sky let
along smooth with her on the top deck bow of the ship. I all for romance
but a realisitic regard for class and the workings of the ship would
have added to the romance. There were bars in the doorways keeping the
poor people below and keeping the lovers apart. These bars needed to be
dealt with. They never were.
Mark Rabiner