Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica & tri-X
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:47:26 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> Leica, Tri-X and D23 or D76 developer.

snip

> Tri-x 37 years later! ...... heck older than  many LUG folks!:) I'm
> surprised at how good the images look, how well the negatives have kept and
> most surprised  "Why did I ever switch to T-max 400?"
>
> The early Tri-x has a smoother fine grained look to it over what I see from
> the past 12-15 years of using t-max 400 processed with T-max developer. Not
snip
> At the time the film was developed in D23 (which were measured powders and
> mixed ourselves as it was required) or D76 1:1  Also in powder form to make
> one gallon amounts.
> snip

I used D23 1:1 for several years but didn't shoot much trix than because
it didn't work very well with trix for me. I felt Trix kept asking me
for some Hydroquione please. When I gave it some using a slightly
different and more D76 like formula it was much happier! I called that
formula "Rabinol" and used it for years. It worked well with Pan x as
well as Tri x.
Mark Rabiner