Subject: Re: [Leica] Film reels (was: B&W film (long))
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:32:15 -0700

Sorry I wasn't too clear: It's the plastic reels which should not be
Photo-Flo'd, because then, film does not glide through as easily as it
should. This, I learned firsthand, prior to getting the owner's manual for
my Jobo film processor.

Page 22 of the CPE-2 manual - 07/97 states:

Caution: Stabilizer (or Kodak final rinse, or any Photo-Flo type surficant)
should always be used in the following way: Use a dedicated container for
the solution. This solution should always be stored and used off the
processor (at room temperature). Remove the film from the reels befgore
immersing the film in the solution. If the reels of tanks are immersed in
these solutions, they will eventually cause processing contamination
effects. The reels will become difficult to load. Rinsing or cleaning the
reels or tanks after processing will not eliminate the problem.

[end of quote]

My own reels do not seem to have suffered permanent harm, but older ones are
definitely looking a little stained.

Jeff