Subject: RE: [Leica] New Web Page/B&W vs Color
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:45:30 -0800

Tina,

Your work is very good.  It was of course your choice to use B&W as you did
and color in others.
Perhaps you are right that color would not have added to the Honduras
photos, but since I only see them in B&W I cannot truly judge.  One of my
favorite is "Salina Cleaning Beans" nice use of backlight, and not overdone.
It evokes a certain sense of lonliness yet contentment.  Interesting as
opposed to Ordinando Wilson, MiskitoTeen which is almost like a boxing
photo.

Tina, its not he B&W or Color but the composition in which your photos stand
out.

I can see the Guatemala in color, but I don't know if I would agree that it
does it is necessarily better in color.  The only drawback in using color is
time.  Thirty years from now the B&W will appear timeless as if taken at
that moment, but the color may look more its age.

I like the "Mam Women at Rural Clinic" in color but "Catarina, Cakchiquel
Girl" may have looked fine in B&W.  As to the Iraqi photos, the "Boy Selling
Sweets on Baghdad Street" is great in B&W while the merchants may have been
better in color.  So as you say could have gone either way.

All the photos look B&W without a shade of tint on my monitor by the way.

Peter K