Subject: [Leica] RE: Photoflo and plastic reels
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:14:49 -0800

Photoflo works because it is a soapy solution with a pH above 7. Perhaps
around 8. This is why it feels slippery and allows the water to run off the
film in sheets, rather than ball-up in droplets... and then dry to leave a
spot. Water also usually has a pH slightly above 7. So there "could" be a
difficulty in absolutely and completely washing away all of the photoflo
"stuff" with water. But I personally have never had a problem of "photoflo
buildup".

To eliminate the problem, should you believe you have such a problem, wash
(soak, agitate) your plastic reels in a very mild acetic acid solution
(really weak stop bath). This will cut any possible photoflo build-up. Then
wash in normal water and dry.

Jim