Subject: [Leica] Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:44:39 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

        I shall be traveling to France for a 7-week stay with my family, in
April. The plan is to ship ahead my 4X5 field camera to an address in Paris,
and to carry on my M6, lenses, and other 35mm equipment and unexposed film.
        With no experience and a head full of rumors and tall tales regarding
U.S. and French Customs, airport X-ray machines and carry-on size and weight
limitations, I could use some heads-up advice from the LUG.
	I had planned to register my serial-numbered equipment with U.S.
Customs, and I have ideas about how to avoid airport x-rays, but anything that
comes to mind from the well-traveled and well-prepared LUGers would be much
appreciated. The best way to ship equipment, how much film is allowed, is the
U.S. serial number registration useful for French customs, and hosts of other
questions come to mind.
	Thanks, in advance, from an inveterate list-lurker.

- -Gary S. Colby