Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Tri-X , AB55, and Kodak vs Ilford?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:36:11 EST

Gary:

Thanks for the tip.  I am not familiar with AB55.  Sounds like a miracle stew!
I will look into it.

Bob Bedwell

<< >After about a 20 year photography hiatus I got back into it last year.  >
 >I love to hear about the film/developer combinations that work for other. .
 >Bob Bedwell
 With all the postings on darkroom setups, etc, I want to recommend again the
 absolutely simplest developer I have ever used - Cachet's AB55. I have used
 it with Tri-X, Delta 100, and Agfa25. In fact, I once souped all three films
 at the same time in a four reel Nikkor tank. Temperature requirements are
 pretty much whatever is currently reasonably comfortable in your darkroom.
 Time is somewhere around five minutes in part A followed by another five
 minutes in part B. If you don't have a watch or timer, you could probably
 estimate the five minutes, too!

 So if anyone is getting started or getting lazy, it's hard to beat AB55. The
 results have been as good as any other developer I have tried. I have used
 is successfully for medium format, 4x5, and in a Jobo rotary processor, too.
 I also used it with Kodak HC (high contrast) film, making negative to
 negative, positive B&W slides for projection, using a Honeywell Repronar
 slide duplicator. The HC film and AB55 developer captured all the midtones
 of the original Leica neg, projecting a sparkling slide that you could never
 get by taking a picture of a B&W print. The two working solutions also keep
 well for many weeks without changing characteristics

 AB55 is like the Swiss army knife of developers - I keep thinking I need a
 more specific developer tool for different situations, but the AB55 just
 does the job like an old workhorse. It's a great asset in the darkroom.

 Regards,
 Gary Todoroff
 Tree LUGger