Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:42:11 EST

Eric:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by burning down the highlights in the
darkroom. I assume you are referring to overdeveloping and losing detail in
the highlights.

I can tell you that I am fanatical about maintaining the precise temperature
of all chemicals throughout the development process.   I use the Kodak Glass
Color Thermometer for temperature.   Once the temperature of the water is
stabilized all liquids are placed inside stainless steel cups and water is
circulated around the containers for constant temperature.  After each
agitation the film tank is returned to the controlled water until next
agitation.

My usual problem with all negative development is too much contrast.  As a
result of the testing of many rolls of Delta films I finally got it under
control.  I am now getting consistent well-exposed negatives   My general
problem with Tmax was contrast and clumpy unattractive grain.  One of the
things that I never did was develop Tmax at 75 degrees as you stated in your
note.   I assume that are referring to Tmax developer in the last three
sentences of you second paragraph?

From a previous recommendation I have ordered Press Maxx developer but haven't
received it yet.

Thanks for your input.  You have always been a patient pundit!

Bob Bedwell

<< At 05:54 AM 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
 >I love to hear about the film/developer combinations that work for other
 >LUGGERS.  Unfortunately, Tmax has made it very difficult for me to consider
 >Kodaks products.  Perhaps I am not handling it properly.

 TMax film is different than other modern black and white films. It was
 specifically designed to be sensitive to development, agitation and
 temperature. You have to be very precise with development or you will blow
 out the highlights. I'll bet your problem with it is burning down the
 highlights in the darkroom. Right?

 I had that problem at first for two reasons. I had gotten used to Tri-X in
 HC-110 dil. B which is very soft. Then I tried TMax 400 (before it was on
 the market) with HC-100. No good. So I tried TMax developer which was also
 in the testing phase, and D-76. At the recommended times, I still got very
 hot highlights. Then I remembered reading Ansel Adams' books and started
 adjusting development. I ended up reducing development by 30 seconds at 75
 degree (which is the temperature that TMax was optimized for) to 5.5
 minutes instead of 6 as Kodak recommends. In high contrast for TMax 400 I
 use 4.5 minutes at EI 200. Absolutely gorgeous highlights and wide open
 shadows. And invisible grain! Well, practically at 8x10 it's invisible.

 Agitation is critical to no overdo. And keep all fluids at within 5 degrees
 (even wash and photoflo). With that, you can et absolutely stunning images
 from TMax.

 As for developer, with TMax 100 and 400, you can't beat Press Maxx
 developer - made by Unicolor. It gives Tri-X tonality with TMax grain. But
 it's horrible with TMax P3200.

 Eric Welch
 St. Joseph, MO
 http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?