Subject: Re: [Leica] Younger photographers and Leica rangefinders
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:28:46 -0800

Michael Garmisa wrote:

> >I'll bet that's not true nowadays with EOS, AF, and all the rest.
> >Everything is getting to be so automatic, the days of young photographers
> >with the ability to look at any scene and just "know" it's 1/60th
> >at 5.6 with Tri-X etc. are probably long gone.
> >
> >Jim Bauman

Hey, Jim, remember the axiom: "measure twice, cut once"?  I don't think
too many master craftsmen would argue with the rule.  Likewise
photographers.  Maybe in the world of only BW negs you could.  But not
with color.  But even with Tri-X, reflected metering is iffy (as we've
argued here into the ground).  And metering is is such a small part of
the skills needed for powerful pix.  Most of that "sixth" sense for
exposure comes with years and thousands of rolls, which precludes most
young photographers.

donal
- --
Donal Philby