Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summicron-R or 35 Summilux-R?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:28:06 -0600

At 09:41 PM 2/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Is the 35 Summicron-R a better performing lens (wide open to 2.8)
>than the 35 Summilux-R?

No, the Summilux is better. But it vignettes some wide open when shot
against very even backgrounds like brick walls and skies. But otherwise,
stopped down, it's a better lens than the Summicron. But the special
characteristic of the Summicron R is freedom from flare. I have gotten this
information from several Leica reps, people who use them, and having owned
two of them over the years. An absolutely awesome lens. I also saw some
tests on Compuserve several years ago that ranked it behind the 35 Summilux
ASPH (first version) and ahead of the Canon 35 f/2 and the Summicron M
(non-asph).

>Is the 35 Summicron-R essentially equal to the 35-Summicron-M
>non-ASPH?

Better. I remember Mike Johnston used to wax rhapsodic about this lens. And
from what I've seen, he's right. I have also used the Summicron M, and have
to say that if there is a difference, I'd have to say it's really
insignificant for most users.

>Any ideas on when the 35-Summilux-R will be made ASPH, or otherwise
>updated?

I have heard, somewhere, can't remember where, a rumor they might. But it's
already so close to the ASPH that it doesn't make sense to do it until they
get some other projects done first. I know there have been some reports
here that downplay this lens. I only have the benefit of having used two of
them in very difficult shooting situations, and having always loved this
lens to pieces. It does the job, makes beautiful pictures, and make the
Contax (much older formula) and Nikon (ditto) cousins look unsharp in
comparison.

Having used the 35 Summilux ASPH, I can say it really is a better lens. No
vignetting to speak of. But as for sharpness and image quality, the R lens
is a truly professional tool that gets the job done, and makes outstanding
images.

The downside of this lens is that it is big, heavy, and you need very thin
polarizers if you're going to use them with this lens at all. Otherwise,
vignetting is significant. I can't remember the last time used a polarizer,
even though I have a 60mm one in my camera bag (for my 75 Summilux). Uses
67mm filters.

I want one to complete my R system on the wide end. But have a few other
lenses to get first. (21 ASPH, 100 Apo Macro, 280 2.8).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The best lack all conviction, while the worst \ Are full of passionate
intensity. -William Butler Yeats [The Second Coming]