Subject: Re: [Leica] Do not like 75mm framelines
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:32:01 +0100

Joe,

> I'm not trying to be controversial; I have really been wondering about
> whether the newer lenses have anything to offer me that would make a
> difference to my pictures, fast film handheld. Seeking enlightenment.

I upgraded my 35mm Summicron from the 70s to the latest ASPH version
this fall. Before doing it, I had the opportunity to borrow one and to run
some of my own tests. My conclusion was that at f2 there was a visible
difference in the slides, and a smaller but still visible difference at f2.8.
From
f4 on, there was no difference that I could see on the light table. These
tests
were of course done on a tripod, Fuji Velvia, close-ups of a statue. Maybe
they are not relevant to handheld shooting, but I did upgrade nonetheless;
I shoot at maximum aperture quite often and was willing to pay to squeeze
this little extra quality. If you always shoot at f5.6 or smaller apertures,
then
you will be wasting your money.

Nathan

- --