Subject: [Leica] RE: M6 user/collectible
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:23:11 -0500

On 14 Feb 99, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> A new user will opt for an SLR with zoom, a collector will opt for the
Leica.  Someone > who has been  in photography since 1940 will opt for a
Leica, somone who is new to
> Photography will opt for a Nikon.  Nuff said....

There is much truth to this ... in my case I didn't have enough wisdom or
maturity to switch fron N**** to Leica until I'd reached the ripe old age
of 27!<g>  (BTW, wisdom and maturity still elude me at 46-almost-47.)

I'd been infected with the Leica virus by  the well-meaning night security
guard where I went to college; he loaned me his LTM for a few months and I
was badly hooked, but procrastination, a student's cash flow and the need
for long lenses kept me with the N**** for a few more years.

I think the progression from the overgrown AF,AE,A-whatever popular brands
to the discrete thinking-photograper's camera is quite a natural one and
it's no surprise to me that Leicas are used more by seasoned photographers
than by newbies.

That there are younger photographers using Leicas speaks well of them; the
higher initial cost of the Leica makes its purchase a more deliberate one.
A less experienced photographer will rely more on the number of convenience
features a camera offers than on the feathures that really useful and
nessesary.

Doug Herr
Sacramento