Subject: [Leica] Was Winter Games Newfoundland - now Nunavut (off topic)
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:38:57 -0700

Mark and anyone else who is interested,

On April 1st 1999, the Canadian Northwest Territories will divide in two.
The Western part (arctic and sub-arctic) will remain the NWT. The Eastern
arctic will become the new (Inuit) Territory of Nunavut (Our Land in
Inuktitut). The current NWT covers the whole of Northern Canada apart from
the Yukon - 1.2 million square miles or something like that.

In fact today, the people of this new Territory are electing their new
government to be. Nunavut is closely linked to, but not exactly the same as
the Inuit Land Claim Settlement in the same region.

It will be a public government, but due to demographics (I forget the
percentages, but the population is something like 90-95% Inuit) most members
of government will be Inuit. In today's election, some non-natives are
running, and some will probably be elected.

But, for the first time, the Inuit themselves will have a very substantial
say in how their land is governed.
This is something of a first, and no-one quite knows how it will all work.
But it is pretty interesting.

To bring it back on topic, I lived in Iqaluit, the new capitol (formerly
Frobisher Bay) and a at least 1 of the images in my 1/99 Leica Fotografie
article were taken there with my M6!

Tim A

Tim Atherton,
Tim Atherton Photography,
PO Box 515,
Yellowknife,
NT, X1A N4,
Canada.

Ph/Fx 867.669.9874

DOCUMENTARY * REPORTAGE * EDITORIAL * ARCHITECTURAL