Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: INformation needed
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:08:22 -700

On 14 Feb 99, Joe Stephenson wrote, at least in part:

> But, Roger, can't a member "post blindly and seek private email
> replies to the exclusion of the rest of the list?" And if a member or
> nonmember opts to use the list in this way, what is the harm. I often see
> posts that I wish had been sent privately! I avoid lists that I regard as
> being overcontrolled. Sincerely, Joe Stephenson

Sure he can, Joe. But if done, it is done *as* a subscriber. When
done, however, I'm always sad because it may be of interest to
the group. The way around that is to answer to both the list and
the individual. Such a request from a poster, however, smacks of
wanting the info and wisdom of the subscribers, but being too
lazy to sift through the list posts to get it. Sort of an "all for me"
attitude.

The great part of mailing lists, Joe, is the fact that they *are*
controlled. The listowner is GOD! Unlike the unmoderated
newsgroups, a list subscriber must acknowledge and perform
within the parameters stated and hopefully enforced by the
listowner and the administrator, if there is one.
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     The older I get,