Subject: Re: [Leica] CDI tested 80/1.4 R
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:13:24 +0100

At 07:24 14/02/99 +0100, Alan wrote :

>Dominique,
>
>It is also interesting to note that the '87 report added in the right
>column for the 80R: QUOTE "...in absolute terms its performances do not
>quite equal those of some of its competitors..." UNQUOTE.
>
>The '87 test concluded the test with a 3 star evaluation on optical
>performances, just like this month's. But it also gave 3 stars for the
>quality/price ratio (against 2 this month).
>
>So, regarding conclusions, the inconsistency seems quite minimal. It
>must be reminded that CdI accepts the idea of modifying evaluations and
>ratings through the years (otherwise a simple reprint of the 1st tests
>of an unchanged lens would have been quite enough).
>
>In the '87 tests, the graphs for the 80R and the 75M show an advantage
>to the 75M, which is confirmed by the LUG's own absolute testing
>institute (aka Erwin), but which was not commented upon in the editor's
>text, and did not alterate the 3-star rating, of the time. This had
>puzzled me since then...
>
>For the 80R, the graphs of '87 are exactly the same as in '99 for center
>performance but seem to loose almost 1 'bar graph point' at each
>aperture on the edges.
>
>I do not have the '98 75M test form, but I suspect the graphs at medium
>apertures will be the same as in '87, which would have objectively
>justified the 4th star in the performance rating of the time. Can you
>check ?
>
>Alan

Alan,

In the 96' test (and NOT '98 as I wrote previously), the 75 has a bar chart
which coincides with the evaluation of the the 87' test. But the lens gets
one more star for the performance !
I know that the optical design of both the lenses is the same. So I wonder
why the performances are not comparable. Maybe the 5 mm between 75 and 80 ?

Dominique Pellissier