Subject: [Leica] Trip to Italy
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 08:34:33 -0500

 Bill,

My wife and I spent over two weeks in Italy this past September.  Your
equipment choices are sound.   I personally would not lug the weight of
the Noctilux but that is a personal decision.  I took two M6 bodies,
28mm Elmarit, 35mm and 50mm Summicrons and the 90mm Elmarit. I rarely
used the 90mm;  frankly most of my photography was done with the 50mm
and 35mm Summicrons. I like to travel light so I did not pack for
ultimate lens speed.  You can photograph in parts of the Vatican and the
guards will make it clear where you can and cannot shoot.  The
prohibition is usually with flash which in Italy seem to always be
prohibited.  The policy is a bit haphazard as I was able to photograph
interior items in St. Peter's Basilica in general but not the Baptismal
font near the entrance to the Church.  Consider four days minimum to see
the highlights of Rome. Two weeks would be better.  There is a wealth of
antiquity and art in Rome that the average tourist misses because they
are on the "quick tour".  It is my favorite city.   I have spent months
in Italy over the years and NEVER had a problem with crime, never saw a
crime never heard of a crime. I'm told that pickpockets are the main
problem many of which are foreigners living in Italy.  Use common sense
to protect your wallet and camera gear.  Stay clear of gypsy beggars who
tug at your sympathy with babies and children in tow.

I can second the advice of one reader who recommended drinking any wine
by ANTINORI.  Visit their restaurant in Florence which will require a
reservation.  We had our best meal in Europe there (including Paris!)
and you can sample their wines by the glass including the pricey but
fabulous TIGNANELLO.  Highly Recommended.

Italy is very expensive so there will be no camera bargains.  Most of
the world it seems comes to the USA for photo bargains!

Have a great trip.  I wish I could tag along and be your guide.  I
really love Italy and could live there four months a year if I didn't
have to WORK.

Paul Collura