Subject: [Leica] Close Enough
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:07:54 -0800

Greg Locke wrote:

> At 07:13 PM 11/02/99 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >       I believe it was Robert Capa who said, 'if your pictures
> >       aren't good enough then you aren't close enough'.
>
>         Don't be too quick to take Capa's comment literally.

I remember being at the Altamont Rock Festival in the 60s (Movie: "Gimme
Shelter") and was photographing a bunch of Hell's Angels working over
the guy that eventually got killed.  One of the bikers noticed me and
pointed his pool cue at me and came at me screaming and was large in the
frame, especially the end of that stick--and that was while looking
through a 20mm lens!

You've never seen such a demonstration of back pedaling power and
strength as I buried myself backwards into the crowd.

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego
http://www.donalphilby.com