Subject: [Leica] Re: Sandy's Rapidwinder
From: sandyquandt@centuryinter.net
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 99 19:26:53 GMT

> Sandy-
>
> is this a Tom A Rapidwinder?
> Now, I'm thinking about winders vs. Rapidwinders (Tom A) and received alot
> of negative comments about the Leica Winders.

Bob,

Mine is the legendary Tom A Rapidwinder! Aside from the fact that Tom is a
terrific person with whom to do business, the Rapidwinder is an absolute
delight to use. My M6 feels better balanced with it, and, as a left eye
shooter, I can actually fire off several shots without having to continually
hit myself in the eye with the advance lever. There is some discussion in the
archives about transferring the "basket" from the original baseplate to the
Rapidwinder in order to facilitate film loading; however, I just attached mine
"as is" and haven't had a problem. Ted, Tina, et al. are absolutely right in
extolling the virtues of the Rapidwinder.

When shooting a concert, Ted's advice is sound; one needs to be familiar with
the music in order to advance film without distracting others. While the
Rapidwinder is as quiet as the standard film advance lever, I wouldn't want to
be shooting with it (or any other winder) in absolute silence or quiet moments
in a concert hall.

Sandy