Subject: [Leica] Jonathan Kott's Visit to Hong Kong
From: "James R. Nelon" <JNelon@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:43:48 +0800

Yesterday, some of us LUGgers here in HK had a fun day of shooting in
what turned out to be great light with Jonathon Kott. He's on his way to
Chengdu, Sichuen Province, China for the next many months for his next
life's goals studying there for maybe six months. We got to do some
street shooting in the Stanley market after which HK LUGger Howard
Cummer treated us to a wonderful lunch overlooking the Jumbo Floating
Restaurants in Aberdeen Harbor. After the lunch at the prestige private
Aberdeen Marina Club, Howard showed us around the huge yahts docked
there in the Aberdeen harbor. We were able to join up with fellow
LUGgers Ray Tai and Joseph Yao to shoot the Wong Tai Sin Temple, teeming
with worshipers on a brightly lit afternoon. A following shoot at the
Temple of a Thousand Buddhas in Shatin found us, over drinks, watching a
12 minute slide show of Guizhou Province in China. Dinner at the
Cantonese Restaurant at the Hong Lok Yuen Country Club rounded out the
day of fun and light.

The only problem on the day turned out to be that Jonathan, Ray and
Joseph kept getting in the way of my shots.:-)  They were all shooting
with this M stuff (they kept calling it M3 and M6 and names like that
:-) They kept talking about rapidly winding something, or softly
caressing something, or words to that effect :-)). I had out my R8's
shooting long. I offered my 250mmR to them, but it didn't seem to fit
their cameras for some reason (or their lifestyle?) :-) So I said to
them to go short, offering my 19mmR so they could get in REALLY close,
but they told me that that lens didn't fit either. :-)  So we just made
due during the day. Sometimes I put on a regular 50 or 35 to try to get
something shot, but I bet the 19's and 250's shots will turn out to be
more fun. :-) Such is the life of an R shooter in the midst of those
other guys. :-) But we had great fun. Any others coming to Hong Kong?

Jim

- --
James R. Nelon
Hong Kong, China