Subject: [Leica] Warning to collectors - Leitz red dot shortage
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:31:34 -0000

I recently returned a Wetzlar-era M6 to Leica to have a exposure-meter
fault repaired. On collecting it, I was surprised to see that the
"Leitz" red badge from the front of the camera had been removed and
replaced with a modern "Leica" badge.

I’m sure that the owner of a Daimler  motor car would not expect to
get it back from a repair job with the Daimler radiator badge removed
and a 1999 "DaimlerChrysler" badge substituted. I certainly did not
anticipate that sending a Leitz camera for repair would result in its
being re-badged. If it was necessary to remove the badge in order to
perform the meter repair (and to the best of my knowledge the badge
only gives access to the rangefinder adjustments), then the original
should have been replaced, or a substitute of the correct type fitted.
However it seems that Leica UK (and presumably the parent company in
Solms) are running out of Leitz red badges, so returning an early M6
for repair could result in its being rebadged!

Regards,

Doug Richardson