Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:53:28 -0800

Tom Abrahamsson wrote:
<<<I have one of the 'old" Summiluxes, the much maligned 35/1,4. The new 35/14
Asph is bigger, better and much more expensive and if I want something that is
sharp, contrasty I use that one.>>>>>

Hi Tom,

I have the old fashion Summilux 35 1.4! I've used it since I bought it in
1967 and the interesting thing is, I never had a thought about how it
recorded on film. That is until I became a member of the LUG family.

Where lo and behold I learned it hasn't been giving me the finest image on
film  after all! I didn't know any better, heck it was a Leica lens
therefore it was the best in the world. Certainly as far as my pea pickin'
mind related to things Leica.:)

It produced in focus and properly exposed images from places where it
seemed impossible and only an idiot using a flash should be trying to take
pictures!:) So  I guess innocents of knowledge sometimes accounts for
beautiful photographs when the technical stuff is left in the books!:) :)
Damn I love it when reality does nice things, compared to numbers! :)

Like, what do folks want in pictures, everything techie crispy sharp or
pictures with a tad bit of coma to give it nice visual effect?

I have used the Aspherical 35 1.4 and been in awe of the image produced on
film and in print, I realize this is called technical lens advancement.
However, does it actually make the photograph better? I guess subject
dictates this.

You know, does the aspherical lens create a more meaningful, heart warming,
tragic or exciting photograph? Or is there more feeling to the old lens
images?

I guess I should ask, "What is the first thing LUG members look at when
they view their Leica images for the first time?"  The sharpness, contrast,
edge crispy look, no flare etc etc etc?  Or do they look at the image and
just say to themselves, "Jeeesh what a nice photograph! Damn I'm good!":):)

Me? I've always related to "what have I managed to capture on film to the
best of my ability with the equipment at hand."  All those technical items
some folks  drool over on the LUG are usually secondary.

Quite frankly I have been absolutely blown away with the photography my
assistant Sandy Carter did on her personal project in Korea using her new
M6 and 35 1.4 aspherical lens.  Not only did she capture quiet moments of
senior citizen Koreans, she made very heart warming and meaningful images
the likes many photographers would die to produce.  I'm first in line to
die!:)

Actually she makes the 35 1.4 Aspherical look like the answer to a
photographer's prayer for the best possible available light images one
could make.  I can only say, "damn she's good!" The aspherical makes her
look even better, but only because she has the magic eye for using
available light,  illustrating what the aspherical elements can do in
cutting a very magical image on film.

Just an aside. She went without any flash equipment at all, even knowing
the bulk of what she would shoot was "indoors!" Now that takes guts and
belief in available light!!  She shot nearly 100 rolls of B&W and 99% of
the images are right on, many of which can be printed on normal paper
without any filtration!

This was available darkness to sunlight and everything in between and all
metered as she says, "When the two little red arrows went on, I went
click!":). Quite amazing talent in the use of a Leica M6, available light,
and an aspherical lens.

So, aspherical? Like you I guess I'm in for one, but I'll not relinquish my
old one, simply because there are times when "extreme sharp" isn't the be
all to end all. :)  But Sandy sure makes me a believer! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant