Subject: [Leica] Leica topic, Montage using 35mm Summicron, 400mm Apo-Telyt, and Eos Elan IIe
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 00:04:53 -0400

Lug members:

I thought I would get us back on topic.  I just got back from a Photo Guild
competition where my creative slide entry was judges the best of the
aproximately  150 entries.  It was a montage of an in camera double
exposure and a second slide.

The original slide was taken in Halifax, Nova Scotia of a WW II escort
vessel called a frigate.  This was taken during the full moon sometime over
the summer.  The exposure for the boat and surroundings was first made with
a tripod mounted R7 and a 35mm Summicron wide open.  A second exposure was
made on the same frame using a 400mm APO-Telyt and the APO 2x converter.
Exposure for the moon was done using the sunny 16 method.

The second slide which was to be sandwiched with the first was taken in the
catacombes in Paris about eighteen months ago.  It was done using an EOS
Elan IIe and a 24-85mm eos zoom.  Incidentaly, I had just bought a R4 with
a 35mm Summicron prior to leaving and decided to take it to Paris along
with my EOS.  It was the comparison of the Canon slides (K64) to the Leica
slides that convinced me to get more of the leica system.  The 35mm
Summicron-R is one awesome lens.

The two slides were sanwiched together emulsion to emulsion and copied
using a Beseler dual mode slide duplicator and a 75mm APO Rodagon on Kodak
5071 Dupe film.  The Elan IIe now comes into play again.  Since I had a T
mount for the EOS, I use it on the slide copier and take advantage of the
auto exposure bracketing and mirror lock up.  It is the first time I used
the Elan in about a year.  At least when the R8 motor comes out, I can use
my R8 and the AEB the motor is supposed to provide.

The slides and final result can be seen at:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Creative.htm

Regards,

Robert