Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:01:16 EST

 I have one of the 'old" Summiluxes, the much maligned 35/1,4. The new 35/14
Asph is bigger, better and much more expensive and if I want something that is
sharp, contrasty I use that one. The 'old" 35/1,4 has some unique quality, as
said before, low contrast wide open, coma, field curvature, flare — you name
the aberration, it has it, but nevertheless I like the lens. It is small,
compact and gives you a neg that has its own signature. If you stop it down to
2,8, it is a great lens, if you can live with the wide-open performance, get
it. There is something about that lens and black/white film that fits
together. The good thing is that it is usually cheap (Leica cheap — less than
$800), but try to get it with the hood.
Tom A