Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 winder problems (Grey market service)
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 07:21:17 -0400

Alistair:

I think your problem may be either your distributor or that you bought your
camera and winder on the grey market in Hong Kong.  I sent my R8 in to get
the static fix, and along with it I sent my month old winder that had a
very small bit of paint peeling.  After testing another area of the paint
and finding I could scrape it off with my fingernail, I sent the winder in
and asked them to repaint or replace.  A week later I got a new winder back
and the R8 had the static fix installed.  All at no charge.  Kindermann
Canada is a great Leica distributor to deal with and from the speed of this
replacement, I assume the distributor makes the decision as to replacing or
repairing an item.  Since your camera was not imported by your Australian
distributor, he is not going to give you a lot of help on it.  It is sort
of like buying your new car at the cheapest dealer, over 100km away and
then expecting your local dealer to give you the same level of service that
he gives customers that bought the vehicles from him.

Regards,

Robert