Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W output from digital devices
From: Jay LeBlanc <jaleblan@dakotacom.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 11:51:48 -0700

At 10:27 AM 2/7/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>On 02-02-1999 20:51 Joe Stephenson wrote:
>>
>>>I have a question for some of you folks who are more familiar with the
>>>digital processes. What is the best B&W output method for digital images?
>>>Can you obtain output that is like, or as good as a fine B&W print? What
>>>is the cost for good B&W output, if it's avaible at all?
>>
>>Joe:
>>
>>B/W output for digital images is apparently VERY difficult to master,
>>according to a recent article in the French photo magazine "Chasseur
>>d'Images" (nr. 209 of December 98).

  I've just started using an Epson 740 for B&W and am quite pleased with
the results.  I've not used a darkroom in 15 years but have one under
construction at present so I can make a more informed comparison soon.
  One nice thing about using the printer is that you can subtly tone your
prints over quite a range, sort of the poor man's Nelson's Gold Toner.
   -Jay-

Visit my website at: <http://www.dakotacom.net/~jaleblan/index.html>