Subject: Re: [Leica] Replacing the leather on a Leica M2
From: "Terry Price (Edgecombe-Coles House)" <terry@free.midcoast.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 17:43:27 -0400

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any experience replacing the leather on an M2
>or other M series?  Obviously some disassembly is required....
>Any hints?  If it's a thing for a repair shop, is it expensive?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jim Bauman

One way to do it is to buy a sheet of self sticking leatherette from Fargo
enterprises at http://www.micro-tools.com/
They have matches for most cameras. It costs about $10 a sheet.
To make a pattern for it you must remove the old covering (a horrible job),
then carefully cover the whole area with masking tape, trimming to fit
exactly where the leatherette was. Peel this off carefully and you have a
pattern to fit your camera. Stick it to the top side of the leatherette and
trim to size with sharp scissors before removing the backing paper.
Carefully stick it on. The leatherette stretches a bit so is quite
forgiving if you don't get it exactly to size. It does a nice looking job.
I redid one barrel of a pair of Leitz 10 x 50 binoculars this way and you
can't tell which side is repaired.

Terry