Subject: Re: [Leica] Replacing the leather on a Leica M2
From: drbledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:36:59 -0800 (PST)

- ---Jim Bauman <jbauman@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience replacing the leather on an M2 or
other M series?  Obviously some disassembly is required....

I replaced the leather on my M2 last year.  The most difficult part
was getting the old stuff off.  Actually the old stuff is not leather,
rather it is vulcanite, a bonded on rubber compound.  No significant
disassembly is required.  The easiest thing to do is order a
replacement leather kit from Leica.  It is precut with a peal off
backing covering the sticky side.  Unfortunately you have to use the
covering design for the M6 since that's about all they have available
as far as I know.  It will take a bit of trimming and fitting but
looks pretty nice when it is all done.  I believe the kit costs about
$60 or so.

Hope that helps,
Don